Yes, it's that time of year, and Vacaville's brightest house is getting ready to "wow" people from all over again. With more than 50,000 lights, a dozen air-blows, stars, and even visits from Santa, Starlight Lane has something for everyone. The Kovarik Family even put their pet sheep in the nativity scene (as weather permits.)
Looking back over the years, the Kovarik's first made "Christmas Light" news over ten years ago, in the Vacaville Reporter, while living behind Vacaville High School. Starlight Lane started out with 15,000 lights, a 25 foot Christmas star, and a canned food drive. Each year the family adds more lights, more yard decorations, and brings in larger quantities of canned food to local food banks. In 2000 the family moved to their current location off of Leisure Town Road.
In 2003 the Kovariks unveiled a 25 foot floating star and their 25 foot Christmas star grew to reach 30 feet. Air-blows were added and they started putting their pet sheep in the nativity display. They have to supplement their power by using two generators.
That same year, Starlight Lane caught the attention of Dave Bender of KOVR 13 News. Hosting events like; "Caroling Night", Letters to the Troops, and the traditional canned food drive, Dave has come out three times to feature Starlight Lane on his "Twelve Daves of Christmas." With each return the Kovarik's added more to their awesome display.
The current display consists of over 50,000 lights, a 50 foot suspended Christmas star, a 50 foot wall of lights, a 30 foot tall Christmas star, a 25 foot suspended floating star, air-blows, and an American flag of lights. There are too many things to list and many small details throughout the yard. You just have to drive by to understand this family's passion for the Christmas season. Santa will be visiting December 15th and 22nd 6-8 P.M., so be sure to bring your camera for a photo opportunity. Located at 5032 Poplar Road off of Leisure Town Road, across form Green Tree Golf Course. When you see that glowing star from I-80, you know you're getting close. You can also check them out on the web at www.starlightlane.com.
There are many interesting details about the 2007 Starlight Lane Christmas decorations including:
- Christmas lights are on every night in December from 6:00-10:00 P.M. weather permitting.
- Over 50,000 sparkling lights!
- Several Christmas trees in front yard.
- Electrical power is backed up with two generators.
- Light up yard displays and air blow figures.
- 15,000 multi-colored lights wrap the house six inches apart and double stranded.
- To reduce electrical consumption we use mini-lights as well as flourescent bulbs for the larger displays and spot lights.
- Display setup and tie-down consist of hundreds of feet of rebar, 3000 ft. of nylon string, and over 1000 ft. Of twist-tie material.
- 50 foot long wall of lights display. Yes we had to fabricate artificial walls to hold more lights.
- Always adding new stars to display—try to find them.
- Nativity with live sheep—weather permitting.
- Electrical light controllers add motion and activity to display.
While we at Starlight Lane do enjoy lights and fun times during the holiday season, we are ultimately celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. If you want to learn more of the real reason for the season, please email us.
Thank you, Starlight Lane ministries
When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
See Starlight Lane Details for 2006